Welcome to Corona Virus Net
Corona Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Coronaviruses. Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans. Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and humans. Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, and shortness of breath. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing. Also avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
A pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan, China was first reported to the WHO on 31 December 2019. The outbreak of COVID-19 was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020 by the WHO. As of March 11th, the WHO declared the rapidly spreading coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, acknowledging that the virus will likely spread to all countries in the world.
The objectives of Corona Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for coronaviruses and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to coronaviruses. What do you know about the novel Coronavirus that is causing a health emergency?
Coronavirus News and Headlines
- Coronavirus Live Updates: India reports 1,890 new Covid cases, highest in 149 days - Times of India
Sun, 26 Mar 2023 08:50 GMT
- Newly revealed coronavirus data has reignited a debate over the virus’s origins - MIT Technology Review
Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:53 GMT
- Have we found the 'animal origin' of Covid? - BBC
Sat, 25 Mar 2023 07:47 GMT
- COVID-19 death rates varied dramatically across US, major analysis finds - ABC News
Thu, 23 Mar 2023 00:37 GMT
- India records 1,590 fresh Covid-19 cases, highest in 146 days - India Today
Sat, 25 Mar 2023 06:14 GMT
- Covid cases surged nine-fold in India in five weeks: Govt - Business Today
Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:34 GMT
- What We Know About the Lab Leak Theory and the Origins of Covid - The New York Times
Fri, 17 Mar 2023 07:00 GMT
- What is a raccoon dog and why is it being linked to COVID-19’s origin? - Global News
Tue, 21 Mar 2023 13:28 GMT
- How raccoon dog DNA fits into the COVID-19 origins debate - Science News Magazine
Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:58 GMT
- CDC Data: Omicron Subvariant XBB.1.5 Responsible for 90% of New COVID-19 Cases - U.S. News & World Report
Fri, 24 Mar 2023 19:35 GMT
- Maha reports 437 new coronavirus cases, rise of almost 100 over previous day - Economic Times
Sat, 25 Mar 2023 18:50 GMT
- Should You Get Another Covid Booster? - The New York Times
Fri, 24 Mar 2023 12:28 GMT
- Opinion | Release genetic sequences from Wuhan market implicated in covid origins - The Washington Post
Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:47 GMT
- Coronavirus Can Modify the Structure of Human DNA - The Weather Channel
Thu, 23 Mar 2023 16:14 GMT
- Explained | Should India worry about rising COVID-19 cases? - The Hindu
Sat, 25 Mar 2023 20:02 GMT
Latest Coronavirus Posts on ProMED-mail
- PRO/AH/EDR> COVID-19 update (323): Pfizer vaccine in children, vaccine diplomacy, WHO
Mon, 20 Sep 2021 21:44:10 -0400
COVID-19 -- Worldwide/Unknown
A lower dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine -- one-3rd the amount given to adults and teens -- is safe and triggered a robust immune response in children as young as 5 years old, the drug companies announced in a news release Monday morning.
The finding, eagerly anticipated by many parents and pediatricians, is a crucial step toward the 2-shot coronavirus vaccine regimen becoming available for younger school-aged children, perhaps close to Halloween.
The companies still must
Latest Articles on Coronaviruses
- Weighted gene co-expression network analysis revealed T cell differentiation associated with the age-related phenotypes in COVID-19 patients Sat, 25 Mar 2023 06:00:00 -0400
The risk of severe condition caused by Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) increases with age. However, the underlying mechanisms have not been clearly understood. The dataset GSE157103 was used to perform weighted gene co-expression network analysis on 100 COVID-19 patients in our analysis. Through weighted gene co-expression network analysis, we identified a key module which was significantly related with age. This age-related module could predict Intensive Care Unit status and...
- Physicochemical Properties and Route of Systemic Delivery Control the In Vivo Dynamics and Breakdown of Radiolabeled Gold Nanostars Sat, 25 Mar 2023 06:00:00 -0400
The in vivo dynamics of nanoparticles requires a mechanistic understanding of multiple factors. Here, for the first time, the surprising breakdown of functionalized gold nanostars (F-AuNSs) conjugated with antibodies and ^(64) Cu radiolabels in vivo and in artificial lysosomal fluid ex vivo, is shown. The short-term biodistribution of F-AuNSs is driven by the route of systemic delivery (intravenous vs intraperitoneal) and long-term fate is controlled by the tissue type in vivo. In vitro studies...
- Laser acupuncture in the treatment of neuropathies in dentistry: a systematic review Sat, 25 Mar 2023 06:00:00 -0400
Laser acupuncture can be used to treat neurosensory alterations and motor disorders caused by dental treatments. This study aimed to review the existing literature on the effects of laser acupuncture on neuropathies in the context of dentistry and to search for treatment modalities in which this technique is used. This systematic review was conducted in accordance with the Cochrane Collaboration guidelines and the PICOS strategy. Randomized clinical trials that evaluated laser acupuncture as a...
- Principles and dynamics of spindle assembly checkpoint signalling Sat, 25 Mar 2023 06:00:00 -0400
The transmission of a complete set of chromosomes to daughter cells during cell division is vital for development and tissue homeostasis. The spindle assembly checkpoint (SAC) ensures correct segregation by informing the cell cycle machinery of potential errors in the interactions of chromosomes with spindle microtubules prior to anaphase. To do so, the SAC monitors microtubule engagement by specialized structures known as kinetochores and integrates local mechanical and chemical cues such that...
- Evaluation of aerosols in a simulated orthodontic debanding procedure Sat, 25 Mar 2023 06:00:00 -0400
Dental practitioners may be at risk for exposure to severe acute respiratory syndrome corona virus 2 when performing aerosol generating procedures. Though recent evidence suggests that coronavirus may be transmitted through aerosol generating procedures, it is unknown whether common procedures performed in dental clinics generate aerosol. The aim of this study was to simultaneously quantify airborne concentrations of the bacteriophage MS2 near the oral cavity of a dental mannequin and behind...
- Assessment of Proinflammatory Cytokines Among Patients with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus Infection Fri, 24 Mar 2023 06:00:00 -0400
Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) is associated with significant morbidity and mortality. This study was performed to assess the proinflammatory cytokines profile among MERS-CoV patients. A total of 46 MERS-CoV-infected patients (27 symptomatic and 19 asymptomatic) were assessed and compared with 52 normal healthy controls for plasma levels of interleukin (IL)-1β, tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α, IL-17, IL-7, IL-6, interferon (IFN)-α, and IL-15 using a customized luminex kit....
- Laminating Structure for Interlayer Corona Discharge Treatment Toward Ion-Based Nanogenerators Fri, 24 Mar 2023 06:00:00 -0400
A corona discharge treatment (CDT) is utilized to maximize the performance of triboelectric nanogenerators (TENGs) by injecting extra electrons into the negative tribomaterials. Increased performance of CDT TENGs, however, exhibits rapid degradation due to the electron dissipation by air moisture or thermal emission. To overcome such drawbacks and circumvent such dissipation, the source of charges should be replaced with ionic charges. This study reports a Ag nanowires (NWs)-embedded laminating...
- The spectrum of computed tomography findings in blunt trauma of the subclavian/axillary artery: a pictorial essay Fri, 24 Mar 2023 06:00:00 -0400
Traumatic injuries of the subclavian and axillary arteries are uncommon but have high morbidity and mortality. In contrast to penetrating injuries, which are often lethal, blunt injuries present a wide and heterogeneous spectrum of imaging findings. If a vessel tear or transsection is a life-threatening circumstance, minor injuries might be overlooked in an emergency setting but could cause or aggravate the functional loss of a limb. The aim of this pictorial essay is to acquaint radiologists...
- Working in corona-designated departments in a fortified underground hospital: Concerns about corona and predictors of job burnout Fri, 24 Mar 2023 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSION: The two groups showed no significant differences in psychological distress nor in burnout. Being a physician, having an intrinsic trait of being overly worried and experiencing psychological distress were significant predictors for job burnout among healthcare workers, regardless of work environment (underground vs. control).
- Identification of novel inhibitors for SARS-CoV-2 as therapeutic options using machine learning-based virtual screening, molecular docking and MD simulation Fri, 24 Mar 2023 06:00:00 -0400
The new coronavirus SARS-COV-2, which emerged in late 2019 from Wuhan city of China was regarded as causing agent of the COVID-19 pandemic. The primary protease which is also known by various synonymous i.e., main protease, 3-Chymotrypsin-like protease (3CL^(PRO)) has a vital role in the replication of the virus, which can be used as a potential drug target. The current study aimed to identify novel phytochemical therapeutics for 3CL^(PRO) by machine learning-based virtual screening. A total of...