Corona Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Coronaviruses. Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans. Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and humans. Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, and shortness of breath. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing. Also avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
A pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan, China was first reported to the WHO on 31 December 2019. The outbreak of COVID-19 was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020 by the WHO. As of March 11th, the WHO declared the rapidly spreading coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, acknowledging that the virus will likely spread to all countries in the world.
The objectives of Corona Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for coronaviruses and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to coronaviruses. What do you know about the novel Coronavirus that is causing a health emergency?
- The latest on the coronavirus pandemic and vaccines: Live updates - CNN
Fri, 14 May 2021 08:19 GMT
- Yankees' Coronavirus Outbreak: What to Know - The New York Times
Fri, 14 May 2021 01:25 GMT
- Coronavirus Briefing: What Happened Today - The New York Times
Fri, 14 May 2021 01:25 GMT
- Do coronavirus genes slip into human chromosomes? - Science
Thu, 13 May 2021 17:47 GMT
- India reports daily rise in coronavirus cases of 343144 - Reuters India
Fri, 14 May 2021 05:17 GMT
- Coronavirus Today: Mixed messaging on masks - Los Angeles Times
Fri, 14 May 2021 03:49 GMT
- May 11, 2021 - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: May 11, 2021 - FDA.gov
Tue, 11 May 2021 04:00 GMT
- How a worrisome coronavirus variant spread unnoticed - Nature.com
Thu, 13 May 2021 11:25 GMT
- Scientists urge second look at coronavirus origins - Los Angeles Times
Thu, 13 May 2021 19:49 GMT
- Coronavirus strain fueling India crisis is the newest ‘variant of concern’ and is spreading globally - The Washington Post
Thu, 13 May 2021 18:18 GMT
- Moore County Records 190th Coronavirus Death | Coronavirus News | thepilot.com - Southern Pines Pilot
Thu, 13 May 2021 20:59 GMT
- India's coronavirus tally surpasses 24 mln as mutant spreads across globe - Reuters India
Fri, 14 May 2021 08:40 GMT
- Coronavirus response | Local health officials: Businesses can make own decision on masks - Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette
Fri, 14 May 2021 00:23 GMT
- Japan Q2 economic growth forecasts cut sharply on coronavirus restrictions - Reuters
Fri, 14 May 2021 04:25 GMT
- Michigan reports 2,057 new coronavirus cases for Thursday, May 13 - MLive.com
Thu, 13 May 2021 19:04 GMT
- PRO/AH> Rabbit hemorrhagic disease - USA (06): (CA) wild rabbit, alert
Wed, 05 May 2021 11:56:43 -0400
Other Animal Disease -- United States
A highly contagious and deadly virus targeting wild and domestic rabbits has been detected in 2 rabbit carcasses found in the Cañada de San Vicente Ecological Reserve in Ramona [California]. Wildlife officials said 2 desert cottontails tested positive for the rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus 2 (RHDV2) infection on April 8 .
Rabbit hemorrhagic disease (RHDV2) is not related to the novel coronavirus and does not affect humans or domestic animals other than rabbits. The virus showed up
- PRO/AH/EDR> COVID-19 update (159): animal, India, zoo, lion
Tue, 04 May 2021 17:18:48 -0400
COVID-19 -- India
A total of 8 lions at an Indian zoo have tested positive for coronavirus in what is believed to be the first case of its kind in the country. Officials at Nehru Zoological Park reportedly decided to test the Asiatic lions for COVID-19 after veterinarians working in the zoo noticed the felines had symptoms of the virus, including loss of appetite and coughing.
The Hyderabad zoo is believed to have been told by The Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) that the RT-PCR tests of 8
- Polarization neutral point pairs of the solar corona and the lunar disc observed during the total solar eclipse on 11 August 1999 in Hungary Thu, 13 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
During the total solar eclipses on 11 August 1999 in Kecel (Hungary) and on 29 March 2006 in Side (Turkey), two Hungarian groups performed full-sky imaging polarimetric measurements of the eclipsed sky. They observed the spatiotemporal change of the celestial polarization pattern and detected three polarization neutral points as well as two points with maximal polarization of the sky. Parallel to these studies, the polarization pattern in front of the lunar disc, the solar corona, and the...
- The role of 'Alay Kapwa Spirituality' amid COVID-19 pandemic Thu, 13 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The importance of spiritual nourishment has become the hope of the people in dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic. This spiritual side of the people must be in tandem with the social responsibility for those in need. Dealing with both spiritual and social responsibilities points out the 'Alay Kapwa Spirituality'. Thus, in both spiritual and social aspects, this paper highlights that practicing 'Alay Kapwa Spirituality' in the time of the Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) pandemic is highly useful...
- The contribution of hypochondria resulting from Corona virus on the occupational productivity loss through increased job stress and decreased resilience in the central workshop of an oil refinery: A path analysis Thu, 13 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The prevalence of contagious viral-infectious diseases such as COVID19 cause the economic problems in addition to harmful effect on the people health. The present study was aimed to determine the contribution of hypochondria resulting from Corona virus on the occupational productivity loss through increased job stress and decreased resilience in the central workshop of an oil refinery. This cross-sectional study was conducted on 275 subjects in the spring of 2020 in one of the oil and gas...
- CORE-Myoclonus Syndrome: A Proposed Neurological Initial Manifestation of COVID-19 Thu, 13 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
- Physiological Role and Use of Thyroid Hormone Metabolites - Potential Utility in COVID-19 Patients Thu, 13 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Thyroxine and triiodothyronine (T3) are classical thyroid hormones and with relatively well-understood actions. In contrast, the physiological role of thyroid hormone metabolites, also circulating in the blood, is less well characterized. These molecules, namely, reverse triiodothyronine, 3,5-diiodothyronine, 3-iodothyronamine, tetraiodoacetic acid and triiodoacetic acid, mediate both agonistic (thyromimetic) and antagonistic actions additional to the effects of the classical thyroid hormones....
- Rapid ATF4 depletion resets synaptic responsiveness after cLTP Thu, 13 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Activating transcription factor 4 (ATF4/CREB2), in addition to its well-studied role in stress responses, is proposed to play important physiologic functions in regulating learning and memory. However, the nature of these functions has not been well defined and is subject to apparently disparate views. Here, we provide evidence that ATF4 is a regulator of excitability during synaptic plasticity. We evaluated ATF4's role in mature hippocampal cultures subjected to a brief chemical-LTP (cLTP)...
- Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench treatment of monocytes promotes tonic interferon signaling, increased innate immunity gene expression and DNA repeat hypermethylated silencing of endogenous retroviral sequences Thu, 13 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSIONS: Altogether, our results suggest that Echinaforce® phytochemicals strengthen antiviral innate immunity through tonic IFN regulation of pattern recognition and chemokine gene expression and DNA repeat hypermethylated silencing of HERVs in monocytes. These results suggest that immunomodulation by Echinaforce® treatment holds promise to reduce symptoms and duration of infection episodes of common cold corona viruses (CoV), Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)-CoV, and new occurring...
- COVID-19 Feminist Framework to Address Public Health Impact of Violence, Abuse, and Trauma in Children, Women, BIPOC, and LGBTQIA+ Community: A Preliminary Observation Thu, 13 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
This article explores the development and implementation of inclusive COVID-19 (corona disease 2019) Feminist Framework (CFF) on the equitability of response for researchers, health care advocates, and public health policymakers at international platforms. Mechanism of CFF entails the process to address and mitigate the institutional inequities, violation of human rights, public health, and race/sex/gender-based violence amid COVID-19. This framework is about institutional building, raising...
- How the European In Vitro Diagnostic Regulation could negatively impact the European response to the next pandemic: an urgent call for action before May 2022 Wed, 12 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has demonstrated that the ability for laboratories to quickly set up and implement labdeveloped tests (LDTs) is essential to respond to an emerging health crisis. The Regulation on in vitro diagnostic medical devices (IVDR) could, however, profoundly impact our ability to respond to a future pandemic since the IVDR could significant restrict the use of LDTs. We address using the example of the current pandemic a number of LDT implementing issues...
- Corona virus infectious disease (COVID-19) pandemic and eye health care services Wed, 12 May 2021 06:00:00 -0400